Friday, March 5, 2010

Believe. Confidence. Success.

Before I begin my post, please take a look at the link below.


Are you intimidated by the gladiators shown in the video? If you are already intimidated, how about going up close with them and battling with them in various events? Will you immediately back out of the competition?

Well, to the competitors in the American Gladiators, they are willing to give all they have to fight with the gladiators and pull through the entire event just for the pride and prize. I am sure the prize money of $100,000 US dollars does tempt the competitors, but I feel that the pride to win and the true interest in overcoming various challenges and feats do make them want to win this and really fight their way through to win this. Many competitors have participated. Many have failed. Many have encountered many setbacks. Many have went through various challenges just for the gold. But only one will remain standing strong on the podium, only one will bring back the gold of $100,000 US dollars.

Who then, will eventually win the prize? I feel that this game is more of mental than physical. If you go head to head with the gladiators, the immediate feeling will be, "This guy is so big! How do you expect me to win him hands down?" I feel that it is natural for people to feel this way. In order to win this competition, I feel that mental strength is the most vital factor to win this competition. Without the basic mental strength, where will you get the boost to win this competition? Without the confidence, nothing will be possible. It is all in the mind, the mindset.

I was watching this show just now. Before every event, the gladiators will say some mean and intimidating words to shake you off your feet and lose even the little confidence you would have. I could see the fear in the competitors' eyes, especially one of them. However, before the event, he said some confidence-boosting words to himself and to the camera. I believe these words were really the vital ones and he finally managed to conquer all difficulties in the event and reached the final spot by the designated time, even overcoming the gladiator in the end. This is really a tough feat to overcome if not for his confidence level. This really motivated me a lot and showed me that with will comes great power.

In the show, what I remembered the deepest were two sentences before the grand finale of the competition by two separate contestants. They are, "Get back up! Do not give up without a fight!" and, "Half the size, twice the heart." These two sentences really motivated me greatly in showing me the confidence level the competitors had to finally overcome the various challenges. The first sentences is to explain that you have to be determined and should not give up if you haven't even tried, but feel contented only when you have given it your best. The second sentence is to show that although you might be on the disadvantage physically, you should have the great mental strength to face this competition. These two sentences were apparently said by two separate competitors in the grand finale. I believe that this mindset was what brought these two great competitors to the finale and fight for the gold.

Why did I want to write this post then? Is it just purely because of teaching people morals? No. This is because I would like to motivate myself and also to motivate others, especially my water polo teammates who are currently going through the nationals. No matter what you do, just know that you have to have the confidence. What I am trying to say to my teammates is, be confident, treat every game seriously, with the mindset that you can bring home the gold. But also, no matter what we get, just know you have done your best and be contented. Working hard in the future will definitely pay off. This is just the exposure and we are still learning. If you think you will lose even before the match, the match is a goner. Just do your best and work hard. Last but not least, nothing is impossible! So, to all my brothers out there with me in the war, work hard and we are fighting not as one individual, but as a team and we have to support each other through thick and thin, hopefully bringing home the gold in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment