Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A New Beginning

Today marks a new beginning for several things. Today is Wednesday, 24th April, a day memorable to me. I will be listing out the several issues that happened today.

Firstly, yesterday was my finals for the National Water Polo Championship 2010, C Division. Before we went down to play, I will be honest with you, I was feeling quite nervous, as it was my very first time playing at the Finals of the water polo competition. The match was against ACSI, a strong rival of my school. At the preliminaries, we lost to them 8-3, with ACSI then moving on the emerge victorious in the rest of their matches and proceeding to the finals. For us, because we lost, if we wanted a secure position in the finals, we had to win the rest of the matches. I became quite nervous as Raffles won ACS(Barker) by almost the same margin as we did. However, we did emerge victorious against Raffles and proceeded on to the finals, much to my relief and satisfaction. At the finals, I can say that I fought hard in the pool, and of course, with the help of my teammates, the score in the first half was 2-1 in favour of ACSI. However, we started to let in free men and counter breaks in the second half where ACSI increased the margin and finally the match ended with 10-4 in favour of ACSI. Although the margin is quite big, I feel that we have really tried our best to win this competition, but I have to admit that the other side was fitter in terms of stamina, enabling them to win us by such a huge margin in the second half. However, today marks a new beginning for my water polo life, being able to fight for the B Division gold next year, ending the drought for more than a decade!

Next, it is a new beginning for all of the students in Hwa Chong. This is the start of the new term, for everyone to start mugging for better results in the new term to pull up their results from term 1. In addition, it is also a new beginning for Hwa Chong as Founder's Day just passed and the celebration was today. I was helping out as a councillor and did not attend the CIP my class had to do. I helped out at the College auditorium where all the awardees collected their prizes. My brother was one of them, being an ARE winner. Watching them go up one by one, especially my brother, it really inspired me that I could be one of them, if I worked hard year after year. They really inspired me, especially my brother. Therefore, it's a new beginning for my school, having another year and more years to go by. It is also a new beginning for me, my journey to strive for excellence.

In fact, it is not just this day that marks a new beginning for everyone. Everyday is a new beginning for everyone. It just depends on how serious people treat their days. Everyday, there is a chance, a new hope that something good might happen. And what happened yesterday, whether good or bad, is now history and it is no point thinking about it. Therefore, the last message I would like to say to my friends are, no matter what happened yesterday, whether you lost a competition, whether you failed your exams, whether a tragedy occurred, life moves on. There will be better things ahead of you. There will be a better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment